Sunday, September 4, 2011

Memories...new and old

It has been good to be in Medicine Hat. I have had a few days getting back in the groove - a great MH News party (Good Luck in Winnipeg AP!) and Jamie in a golf tournament here.  It was nice to be with such wonderful people in such familiar settings. I know now for sure that Medicine Hat is the best place for me. 

I was honoured and humbled to hear that the Medicine Hat News is planning some different memorials for Callum. They will name  one of their scholarships after him and they are going to plant a tree just outside the Ad Director's office. Kind of eerily, they had to cut down the old tree because it died. And they would like to dedicate a park bench in his name. This is right up my alley because I had also been considering a park bench so I will work with the News on this memorial project.  If anyone had any doubt about how much he meant to the newspaper industry in general, and to the News, these gestures will quash those doubts!  Callum would be so surprised, and humbled. He only ever wanted to do a good job! Some good memories in the making, some good memories from the past.

I have spent some time at the Connaught Golf Course this weekend. Jamie is playing in the 3-day Southeastern Golf Tournament. He is currently one shot back of 1st place.  He won the horse race today (it is a fun competition as part of the tournament) which is the first time he has ever won a horse race! It was so great to watch him. I watched him play the last 3 holes of his main round today and over 5 holes of the horse race. I am a very proud mom.  I don't think anyone noticed the few tears I had when I would look for Callum and realize he wasn't there.  I fondly remember following many horse races when he would seem to come from no where, put his arm around me and give me a hug.  I swear I could see his smile and hear him say "hi sweetie - how're you doing?".  He would have been so proud of Jamie's horse race win. Especially the long birdie putt on 8 and the chip to within a couple of feet from the hole in the chip-off to win. Good memories in the making, some good memories from the past.  And a few tears for both. 

"I hear your whispers in the rain ... Your Kiss in the rushing wind.... your embrace in the still of the night...I'm Missing you"

Author: Helen Rebibis Ramos


TTFN
Lorna

No comments:

Post a Comment