Wednesday, June 11, 2008

2nd cycle of chemo

Today was the start of the 2nd cycle of chemo. Things went well. I don't understand why sometimes he thinks it is a bad thing to tell the nurses how he had been doing. He was nauseas last time for nearly 5 days and he tells them it wasn't bad. I am hoping that with rest he feels better. It is interesting how every time you start to feel sorry for yourself, someone comes along and shakes you out of it! Callum shared a chemo treatment room this week. The other man, Don, was taking his 5th cycle of the same treatment Callum is having. He was first diagnosed in 2004 with Stage 2 colorectal cancer. I guess the follow up isn't as rigourous as with Stage 3, and he found out that he incurable cancer. He was seen at a clinic in Alberta and was told he had 6 months to live and there was nothing they could do. He came to Saskatoon and the Dr here said he thinks he can get him 2 years. This poor man lost his 23 year old daughter to cancer in 2004, and 6 weeks after that he lost his wife due to a brain aneurysm. Then just a few short months after that he was diagnosed with cancer. What a bad year for him! He still has a 16 year girl at home and is planning on living to see her graduate. He is taking a herb from the states along with the chemotherapy and says he is feeling great. It likely seems weird, but I felt very lucky today after leaving the cancer clinic.

Even though I felt lucky, I must say it was another reality check this morning. April and May were such busy months, but there was something about things feeling "normal" with all the plans for the wedding reception and moving. Kind of helped us not really deal with the seriousness of the situation. I have had a few moments the past couple of days - I am sure there will be more days like this to come! Thank goodness they are few and far between.

Callum was pretty good today. I did go out and get some gravol for him - hoping that helps him through the night as the prescription meds aren't doing much right now. He slept this afternoon and made supper - so I was a happy camper!

Well, I should go..I am finding myself very tired as we have had a very busy week with early morning appointments and getting caught up with groceries and basic things since getting into the house.

Take care all!

No comments:

Post a Comment