Sunday, April 3, 2011

Still Waiting

We have a couple of special important days coming up. 


Important Day #1
On April 5 we see the oncologist for the results of the CT scan. I tried to get them over the phone but was told the Dr. won't release them over the phone. That is the first time we haven't been given results by phone so we are expecting that it won't be great news. We can continue to be hopeful and optimistic, but must also be realistic.  I will update the blog later this week once we have the news.

Now would be a great time for a huge flood of positive thoughts!!!

Important day #2
On April 4 I move from one decade to the next.  The big "50"!  I can remember when only old people turned 50 - how did we all become so young at 50?  It has been quite the fun times over the past 50 years.  There have certainly been some very sad times, some troublesome times, and some anxious moments. But we have always tried to keep some fun in there somewhere. I think I am almost old enough now to know that I really "don't know it all", and likely never will. 


I have the learned the power of love and hope. And I have learned that the power of love comes in all ways - and sometimes most of all through the pain of having to renew it again. But love will win in the end. 


I have learned (and really try hard to practice!) to not judge anyone - even if you have walked a mile in their shoes. 


I have learned that giving people a hand up can sometimes help more than a hand out. That most people want to be successful but sometimes just lack the tools and knowledge to get there. And sometimes people are extremely happy with their lives, even though we might not be if it were us - and that is OK.


I have learned that most parents want to be good parents - they just don't know how. It is pure joy to see a mom try something new with baby and see it work. Smiles on both mom and babe light up a room!


Everyone has strengths - look for them, nurture them, grow them - in you, and in others.


I have learned the importance of being honest, doing a good job, and working hard. Compassion and understanding go a long way.


I have learned that it is important to find out who you are, what are your values, and then matching these to all your activities - work, volunteer, hobbies, friendships.


When you have lost your strength - don't be afraid to ask for help, from family, friends, medical professionals, and from whatever you use for faith.


I am still learning the power of patience - and that learning is a life long process. Enjoy it!


I have learned that what you have now won't last forever.  Not the couch, the computer, the flowers, your clothes. And that special people in your life leave this world far too early.




I have learned how quickly things can change in a minute. I have learned the positive side of being stubborn, determined, persistent, and perhaps, even obstinate. 

I have learned that no matter what are your troubles, everyone has troubles. They are not to be measured against each other - the biggest challenge in someone's life is still their biggest challenge. Honour it.

I have learned that being kind, even to the nastiest person, is still better than being nasty. I don't believe anyone really feels better when they act nasty.

I have learned that family can move about and be miles away from each other, but are always there when you need them. 

I have learned that if  you keep your eyes and ears open you will find opportunities you never thought existed. Sometimes you need to close you mouth so you can see and hear them. 

I have learned that yes, you can love someone even more tomorrow. And that you can pack in 50-60 years of loving in 30 years. 

My 50th birthday wish is that you take time to tell those special people you love them and miss them.  Pick up the phone or email a friend or family who you have not spoken with for a while. Take time for yourself. Cherish and be grateful for all the wonderful, beautiful things you have in your life. 

"Dream as if you’ll live forever. 
Live as though you’ll die tomorrow"~ James Dean


TTFN

1 comment:

  1. A great post Lorna that really made me stop in my tracks and just *think*...

    *I have learned*.....that is such a powerful statement and I found it so interesting reading your thoughts on this.

    Take care Lorna
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete