Saturday, October 25, 2008

remember us?










I just checked the date of the last blog - 20 days ago!! Wow! It has been a very busy number of weeks. The daily trips for radiation continued until Oct 8.  My sister and brother in law came to visit for a few days. My brother and his family and Callum's brother and his family, along with Vanessa and Stuart joined us for Thanksgiving. We bought a MacBook and a treadmill. Jamie and Callum's brother Alan are here now for a visit. We booked a trip to Scotland. I wrote 2 grant proposals, prepared for a board meeting and attended the AGM and conference for our major funder. I had one day off in 2 weeks. I got glasses - yup - glasses!  Callum has had one more cycle of chemo. We had some "uncomfortable issues" with our cleaning service so we had to let them go. We hired a someone to clear our snow (thank goodness we don't have them yet!).  And, I am tired. Why do I always write when I am tired? I don't really know.  I have decided to take Monday off and have 2 days off in a row. Maybe a little "recharge of the batteries" to get ready for the next cycle of chemo. It seems that Callum is still having some side effects of the radiation as he has been quite tired - even until today. He didn't go to work until Thursday and spent only 1/2 day there. He was at work until about 3 on Friday but was quite tired the rest of the day. We sure hope he has more good days after this cycle coming up.  He still stays positive most of the time, but certainly has been quite frustrated with feeling so tired and not well for over a month now.  And he gets quite grumpy when frustrated......I have learned to bite my tongue a lot! It is kind of a new skill for me :) 
We are both still working at this point. We will see how the next couple of cycles of chemo go and see if it is getting time to look at cutting back at work and taking more time to be at home. I am sure Callum gets a little stir crazy when he is home alone so much. And he has been marvelous about cooking, but it seems that more often he gets nauseous when cooking so I may have to do a bit more of that. It has been wonderful that we haven't had daily trips to the cancer clinic. 
We just got our treadmill yesterday so haven't had a chance to really try it out. I am looking forward to getting back into some exercising and having it at home. No excuses now! 

And, now some words of wisdom:

Inner Strength

If you can start the day without caffeine or pep
pills,

If you can be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people
with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food everyday and be
grateful for it,

If you can understand when loved ones are too busy
to give you time,

If you can overlook when people take things out on
you when, through no fault of yours, something
goes wrong,

If you can take criticism and blame without
resentment,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,


THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY THE FAMILY DOG

TTFN

Lorna

No comments:

Post a Comment