Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Are we on the "upside" of things?


Things have been quite fine the last couple of weeks. Cal handled the chemo pretty well, especially the first 2 days. He did have some nausea and fatigue on Monday and Tuesday, but nothing near like it was before Christmas. We are thinking we can contribute this to a couple of things - it has been more time since he finished radiation and he missed one chemo treatment when we were away. It has been so wonderful to see him almost back to himself. Although...I think my perception of the "old self" has changed over the past few months. His bloodwork was good. A few things high or low, but only slightly. The liver enzymes that were quite high over the past couple of months are near normal, and the CEA - his blood cancer marker - was the lowest it has been since he was first diagnosed in 2005! It has been a few wonderful days! And....one more great thing.....wait for it......his hair has started growing back! Just some peach fuzz right now, but growing more everyday! We aren't sure whether it will come back black or grey...but who cares! It is coming back.
I have returned to work on a part time basis. The first week has gone fine...the 2nd week pretty good. I am not sure how it will work out over the long term, but as long as things are stable with the cancer and medical appointments I feel the best thing is for me to work. The doctors won't say anything more than they have about prognosis, so until things change, we will continue to believe that he will stay stable for quite a few months yet - maybe longer. Much too long for me to not work! We will continue to take our holidays and I plan to not let anything interfere with that. I feel like I have "recharged" a bit so will continue working for now. And of course, when Callum needs me to be home, I will be home. 
Callum had an MRI of his brain today. Hopefully we don't hear any results until next week - if we don't hear anything for about a week it usually means all is well. 
I haven't done any shopping for our grandbaby for nearly 2 weeks - oops - make that only a week! It is so exciting to have that to look forward to.
So, for now....we enjoy and embrace the many positive moments and good news so that we may gain the strength to "shoot the rapids" of the next bump. 

"All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope."  Alexandre Dumas

No comments:

Post a Comment